Erie County Household Hazardous Waste Collection - June 27
Erie County is announcing a free Appointment Only, Household Hazardous Waste Collection Event to be held on:
Saturday, June 27, 2020, from 8:00am - 1:00 pm at a location in the Southtowns
Appointments can be made starting on June 10th. The exact location will be sent to you via email once you register.
This is the 1st Erie County HHW Collections for 2020. Other HHW collections this year are still being planned.
All collection events are Appointment Only
You must select a specific time slot by registering above.
When you register for a time slot using this site, you will need to enter your vehicle's license plate number first three digits. Your license plate number is your appointment number.
Please have your plate numbers ready before you proceed to register. If you are not sure which vehicle you will be using, you may enter more than one plate number.
We are working on a free Erie County HHW Voucher Program at a River Road location in Tonawanda. This drop-off program will have limits on the quantity allowed. Please stay tuned for more information.
Please visit our website www.erie.gov/recycling for updates, upcoming HHW events and options, and to join our email reminder mailing list.
1. No more than the equivalent of 6 boxes of items, and 4 five-gallon pails, will be accepted.
2. All Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) must be placed in the trunk of your vehicle or in the rear of your hatchback, crossover, or SUV. We will not accept waste through any passenger door. Your trunk must be accessible and unlocked before entering site. The only items in your trunk should be those HHW items you want disposed.
3. You will not be allowed to leave your car or pass keys to the attendant.
4. We ask you to keep your windows closed and radio off while navigating through the collection area. Please pay attention to staff through visual signals.
5. If possible, items should be in their original containers and sealed to prevent spills.
6. Latex paint will not be accepted.
7. Most items should be packed into cardboard boxes. Plastic tubs will not be returned. Gas cans, plastic or metal will also not be returned. Items may NOT be placed in plastic bags.
8. Please wear a mask. Our staff will be wearing masks and observing social distance protocols.
9. Please watch for emails for updates or a cancellation of this event.
All events are dependent on health and safety factors and may be cancelled at any time. If you have registered we will notify you of any changes to the event scheduling or participation rules via emails.
Thank you for your understanding and flexibility.
ITEMS WHICH CAN BE BROUGHT FOR DISPOSAL INCLUDE:
• Pesticides, Fertilizers, Pool and Household Chemicals/Cleaners
• Oil-based paints, Spray cans
• Paint Thinner, Stripper and Solvents
• Gasoline, Kerosene, Antifreeze
• Mercury (thermometers, thermostats, liquid)
• Fire Extinguishers
• Propane camping size 1 lb. cylinders
ITEMS WHICH WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED INCLUDE:
- Latex paint: Latex paint does not need to be disposed of as household hazardous waste and should not be brought to these events. To dispose of properly and for more info: Click here
- Automobile tires
- Motor oil
- Car batteries
- Propane tanks (20lb)
- Computers and other electronics
- Smoke detectors
- Fluorescent bulbs
- Commercial/industrial wastes
For a printable flyer with the list of dates and acceptable items click here
Participants will need to verify that their waste products were generated by households.
Support for events is provided by Erie County, City of Buffalo, SUNY Erie, Northeast Southtowns and Northwest Solid Waste Management Boards and the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation.
We hope you can make it!