The Town of Grand Island Water Billing Department is announcing an increase in the sewer rate beginning with the January 2024 water/sewer billing cycle.
Effective 1/1/24, the sewer rate will increase $.30 to $5.80/1,000 gallons of usage.
Water Billing Cycle
The Town of Grand Island is divided into three billing cycles. Each cycle is billed quarterly based on usage through the meter for the prior three months. Water meters have a radio transponder on them which allows us to read the meter from the street. Unless there is a problem reading the meter, each billing is based on actual usage.
Paying Your Water Bill
Water/sewer bills can be paid by mail or in-person
- Monday through Friday
- 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
- Town Clerk's Office, Town Hall
2255 Baseline Road
Grand Island, New York 14072
In addition, there is a dropbox located outside the main entrance of the Town Hall where payments can be deposited. Please note that payments left in the dropbox are posted the following business day.
Methods of Payment
- Cash, check or money order (payable to "Town Clerk"), is accepted at the counter
- Debit and credit cards are accepted at the counter. Service fees apply.
- Credit Card/Check payments can be made online. Service fees apply.
Make an online payment
- ACH (autopay) is also available.
ACH Enrollment Form (PDF)
Quarterly water bills are due on the 15th of the month. Payments must be received on or before the due date after which a 10% penalty will be added. Failure to receive a bill does not waive the past due penalty. If the 15th falls on a weekend or holiday, payments are accepted penalty-free on the next business day. If not paid by October 31, arrears will be assessed against your Erie County property tax.
Water and Sewer Rates
- Water $24.85 per quarter minimum charge (first 7,000 gallons) plus $3.55 per thousand gallons above the minimum. There is also a $3/quarter administrative fee.
- Sewer $40.60 per quarter minimum charge (first 7,000 gallons) plus $5.80 per 1000 gallons above the minimum.
- I recently sold my home, how do I close my account?
Prior to closing, please call the water billing department to schedule a final read and provide a forwarding address for the final bill. We will advise you of any adjustments that may apply to you at closing.
- I am purchasing a home in Grand Island, how do I open an account?
Prior to closing, please call the water billing department to provide billing and contact information for the new account. We will advise you of any adjustments that may apply to you at closing.
- I recently moved to Grand Island and haven’t received a water bill. When can I expect it?
Water bills are mailed out quarterly. We do not prorate or bill for a partial quarter. Depending on your closing date, you may not receive a bill until your account has been active for a full quarter. Under this circumstance, your first bill will be for a longer period. We will let you know if this applies when you call to establish your account.
- I went away for most of the winter. Why did I still get charged with a water bill?
There is a quarterly minimum charge for the delivery of water to a property regardless of whether there is usage or not. This charge is based on usage of 7,000 gallons of water.
- Do I have to pay the sewer charge on water that does not directly go into the sewer (swimming pools, sprinkler systems)?
Yes. All water used that passes through the meter is charged both rates. There will be no adjustments.
- I made my last payment using on-line banking and the funds were withdrawn before the due date. Why am I seeing a late fee on my current bill?
Online check payments made via your bank are not electronically deposited to the Town bank account. These payments are mailed by your bank through the U.S. Mail and are posted on the date they are received in the clerk's office. To ensure that water bill payments are received in a timely manner, please be sure your online payment is processed at least 7 to 10 days prior to the water bill due date. To ensure that payments are posted correctly, please reference your current account number and / or service address on the check.
- The due date of the 15th falls on the weekend when Town Hall is closed. How do I pay my bill without penalty?
If the 15th falls on a weekend or holiday, payments are accepted penalty-free on the next business day.
- I just came home and found a notice on my door from the water department. What does it mean?
Water meters have a radio transponder on them which allows us to read the meter from the street. Occasionally, the reading may indicate that there is a problem with your service (leak, higher or lower than usual usage) or a problem with your meter (no usage). When this occurs, we will leave a door hanger at the property requesting that you contact our office. It is very important that you call the Town at your earliest convenience so that we can identify the problem as soon as possible. Non-compliance will result in a surcharge being added to your water bill.
The Town of Grand Island is now an approved vendor for a new NYS initiative called the Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP).
For more information about LIHWAP please call the NYS LIHWAP Call Center at 833-690-0208 or call the toll-free OTDA Hotline at 800-342-3009. You may also email LIHWAP.
Elaine O'NeillSenior Account ClerkPhone: 716-773-9600, ext. 614
Liz VelocciAccount ClerkPhone: 716-773-9600, ext. 612
Sarah RiversAccount ClerkPhone: (716) 773-9600 ext. 649
2255 Baseline Road
Accounting Office (2nd Floor)
Grand Island, NY 14072
2255 Baseline Road Accounting Office (2nd Floor) Grand Island NY 14072
Monday through Friday
8:30 am to 4:30 pm